Monday, 23 July 2018

My Top Skincare Tips



Photo Credit: Stock Photo

I love the subject of health! health related topics is an area I've always had an interest in. I love informing myself on groundbreaking research findings, the medical approach to optimum health as well as the naturopathic approach. I'd say about half of the books I own are health related books. I love specifically reading about vitamins, minerals and herbs. But I also love reading about the physiological processes of the human body. I kid you not, I have a playlist in my YouTube account called 'cool/interesting/informative' here you will find a bunch of videos I've liked from human development, oral surgeries, heart dissection, open brain surgeries, the digestive system etc. The rest are space videos, which may I say are super cool to watch. But I digress, the human body is incredible isn't it? l don't even think the word incredible does it justice but I'll suffice with that description.  Our skin is the largest organ we carry as humans. The organs that work in the many body systems in the body are all connected. The heart which is part of the circulatory system, does not beat unless our dearest brain (part of the nervous system) tells it to. That's a good way to understand the skin, it's interconnected. The skin which is part of the integumentary system is very much connected like every other organ and system is.

So the skin, the largest organ and one of my favourite organs I love to inform myself on. I think quality skincare comes from what you eat (vitamins, minerals and herbs), gut health (digestive system), exfoliating and cleanse, water intake, environment and genetics. I have many tips from the women in my life. I like to try out new tips, but I've accumulated my own habits over the years. My number one of course my mother who has flawless super youthful skin - her secret? genetics. Her sisters are so gorgeous and my grandmother is vivacious and beautiful. A gorgeous good friend of mine she swears by yummy smoothies, face peels and laughter. I also love to learn from the eternally flawless ones too they have much wisdom to share. Every woman at every phase has their tips for skincare. I've always loved skincare my own tips come from reading credible articles, learning from my mother and from my own practices. Have in mind that every human is different and requires different needs for optimum healthy skin. What I do is not necessarily what you should do and vice versa. It's important to always research and remember we are all different. We are all so unique, so these tips should be taken with this rationale in mind.

So with that in mind, here are my personal top skincare tips:

1. Invest In Quality Skincare

I cannot emphasise this enough! quality over quantity any day of the week. When it comes to skincare this saying is a must to live by. I've experimented with makeup products, some I regret more than others (rolls eyes). I like a variety and I know what suits me so I have my staples. But my skincare is only the best for me. Now when I say the best I mean that by ingredient: skin replenishing ingredients such as retinol, hyaluronic acid, antioxidants, essential oils (certified rose hip is one of my favourites) and certified organic ingredients. There is no point having that gorgeous Bobbi Brown foundation if your base isn't on its A game. So invest on the foundation of your canvas, the skin.  I love beautiful soft sun kissed healthy skin. But I don't rely on the sun to provide me that tan. While vitamin D is important, sunbaking isn't the way I give myself a tan. I tan myself using Bondi Sands tanner. Now I enjoy the sun, it's like a warm sunshine therapy and good for the bones. But sun protection first, I use SPF 30+ - 50+ sometimes. Sunscreen does diminish the vitamin D the sun can provide. Caution is always smart, have in mind also that sun protection is most needed when the UV index is 3 or higher. So if I'm going to the beach, running, cycling, trekking or an outdoor event I apply it. I live in Australia where the ocean is a beautiful blue, and the grass is a healthy green and the sun shines radiantly. I remember in primary school the 'slip slop slap' (updated to slip slop slap seek slide) health campaign was everywhere especially during my swimming lessons at school. I love my birth home Australia and it's been instilled since I was a kid to have smart sun care.  To be smart I make sure to take a vitamin D tablet during the winter especially too. 

In terms of quality skin care products the ones I love are certified organic Aloe Vera, La Mer Moisturising Creme and Kiels Ultra Facial Cream. I won't name all the products here but I use a variety I like to switch it up and at the moment these are what I'm liking. Eye creams serum Estee Lauder Eye Serum Complex 2 is a good one. In terms of face serums Drunk Elephant are super potent. At the moment I'm loving InstaNatural Retinol Serum with vitamin C and Hyaluronic acid. I love to switch up with alternative products too such as Mizon All In One Snail cream it's a Japanese skincare staple and with good reason. There is also a Spanish version of this product too. I love masks my favourites are the Indian Healing Clay and Black Mud from the Dead Sea, these ones are a must in my bathroom cabinet. My all time favourite exfoliant is from the Acure Organics Brightening Facial Scrub, it's natural and the organic ingredients are top of the class. I haven't mentioned all the products I like to use, some days I just use a mist spray and go without using any products. I like to switch it up, it all depends on my mood. When it comes to make up I would say my approach is simplicity is the ultimate of sophistication and I'm chilled about makeup. But when it comes to skincare products I may sound like Patrick Bateman from American Psycho but hey I love skincare (sorry not sorry).

2. Make Your Skincare A Habit

Just like you brush, rinse and floss your teeth three times a day (my dads an orthodontist, my grandads a retired oral surgeon the cycle of health freaks is genetics so yeah I'm a bit pedantic about oral health that's my excuse haha!), make it a habit in your life. A certain level of routine is lethal, but when it comes to skincare routine is your skins best friend. Be disciplined even if your back from a huge night out and you're super tired. I know (been there done that) but STOP and go wash that face of yours, rule your mind don't let it rule you. My skincare routine includes a serum, eye cream, moisturiser and body cream. I love Kora Organics Noni Body Oil (soooo good). I also love face mists my current ones are from Avene Thermal Spring Water and Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Coconut Water. There so practical and quick, for those lazy nights when you just want to head to bed. Think of it as a garden, it needs to be watered in order keep the flowers blooming and the grass green. 

3. Understand Your Skin

I remember when I was 18 I organized an appointment with my dermatologist. I knew the particular product I wanted at the time for my skin. So I ordered a referral and made that appointment. I'm not going to get into the medication, purely because its a powerful one (hence you will need an acceptable blood test result prior to being approved with a prescription! a few more other important requirements also so enough said) and I wouldn't easily recommend it anyway. I'm not going to promote it, as I only took it for a few months as I had planned. The point I'm making is understand your skin are you combination, dry or oily? that piece of information will then make a whole lot easier when it comes to which skin products to buy.

4. Have Facials

There's many forms of facials from masks to skincare face devices. I use variety of masks my go to are Black Mud from the Dead Sea, Indian Clay Mask (hugely raved about and definitely within reason), charcoal mask and green clay. I also occasionally use Lush Masks, the products are super fresh but have to be used within a week. There are also at home skincare devices, the ones I own are: the red light therapy device , micro needle roller, PMD, Clarisonic PRO, skin massage roller which is great for facial circulation and I also use body dry brushing which encourages lymphatic drainage. I use these maybe twice a month, clarisonic PRO for example is full on so I only use every few months. Some are once a month devices and others daily. Thirdly see a facialist my go to place is Affinity Day Spa in Cottesloe this place does the lot. From microdermabrasion, chemical peels and a massage during the week is just a gift really. Yes you may come out of the day spa like a bloody raspberry red like when Samantha Jones from Sex and The City had a peel but you will also come out of it looking grand.

5. You Are What You Eat So Eat Well

When it comes to food I live by 80% healthy 20% pleasure but who am I kidding when its Christmas day it's 80% pleasure 20% healthy. Food to me is about enjoying it, being healthy and intake in moderation. So yes go on have that chocolate fondant (you know you want to), it's all about moderation. Be conscientious about how you eat, when I know I'm having a family/friends feast a certain day of the week I plan how I will eat before it. If I'm on holiday I honestly don't care I eat whatever I want (I mean how could I skip on Alfajor, the foodie in me refuses to). If you think I'm not going to eat that pasta verde, your out of your mind that contains spinach, basil, zucchini and feta (yum). I mean you don't go to Italy an skip on Tiramisu, surely that's a crime. Eat for your skin think antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. I have been very privileged to have grown up in a home full of healthy food. I see food as an opportunity to nourish yourself. I like to eat to stay fit and maintain my curves in all the right places. I'm avid taker of supplements, I love vitamins, minerals and herbs. I love reading credible research articles about this topic and always meticulous with what I take. It's a passion and my supplement cabinet evidently supports this claim.  I might discuss this further in a whole new post entirely. I've included it here because essentially it what you put in the body just like food.

Drinking alcohol is something I hardly do, actually more like never do. There are exceptions to the rule yes I can have the occasional celebratory champagne or wine over dinner. But even during dinner, I'm not usually inclined to drink which can be hard when your at a family gathering and they insist on that red wine. I also don't smoke purely because I'm too vain to smoke and health conscious. I tried it once to see what all the fuss was about and that curiosity ended within seconds. Confirmed my thoughts on it and I never tried it again. I'm not here to be your mother! you're an adult but for my loved ones they know me and know I won't allow it. You are what you put in your body so be wise. I'd say I eat a mediterranean/paleo/Spanish/super plant based way but did I mention I don't like predictability? so I switch up with keto style and I may add intermittent fasting throughout the week.  Intermittent fasting is a whole other subject I might talk more in depth about in my blog later. I love it, in a nutshell it works on a cellular level and boosts autophagy. I don't want to go off on a tangent  here but search it up there are so many benefits. If you know me well, then it's no surprise that I'm an avocado lover. I had an avocado tree once, so yes it's an obsession #avocadogenerationqueen. Avocadoes supply the skin phytonutrients (hydration from the inside out) and supply the skin healthy fats, so hello beautiful.

6. Drink Water And Green Smoothies

This tip is as old as time! but I'll say it again drink up. The general rule is 8 cups, but I stick to 1.5- 2 litres of water. I'm petite so I drink according to my size. My favourite form of liquid to drink is water, I tend to always have a 1.5ml water bottle with me.  Don't go under because dehydration is not a good look and importantly not healthy for your insides.  Don't go over either because that can cause an electrolyte imbalance. I have seen patients who have no idea there is such a thing as drinking too much water, and so they have created a dangerous level of electrolyte imbalance in their body. It's about staying between dehydrated and overhydrated. So drink wise! water will keep you hydrated, transport nutrients, keep you looking fresh, cleanse your inside and flush out toxins. Please remember that every human is different and as such health (inside and out) are areas that should be tailored according to the individual. After water I love vegetable and fruit drinks freshly made at home. Owning a nutribullet is must have home appliance. I use mine on a weekly basis, all the vegetables and fruits of the week that I have left over go into my smoothies. These juices not only provide the obvious nutrients, but also oxygenate the skin and an excellent antioxidant. 

7. Have Spa Days

Go to a day spa or better yet dip yourself in a mud filled tub. Your skin will love you for it and you can thank me later. I love epsom salt baths I've been having these baths for years. In a nutshell it initiates reverse osmosis which helps release out toxins such heavy metals from the body. I love that it replenishes magnesium levels in the body too. I absolutely love it, but be sure to be hydrated when having an epsom bath to avoid dehydration. I love dry brushing it initiates lymphatic drainage, I love to do this after my epsom bath. A relaxed you will not only benefit your insides but make you glow on the outside

Most importantly enjoy taking care of yourself, as I said before I love it. So to me it comes naturally and it's enjoyable. The perfect balance for me is to enjoy it, don't force it, be yourself and stay original. Taking care of yourself shows you love and respect who you are. It's about being the best version of yourself from the inside and out.

Be Well - Leon

My Top Skincare Tips

 Photo Credit: Stock Photo I love the subject of health! health related topics is an area I've always had an interest in. I lo...