Courtesy Photo: Royalty Free
Ahhhh what to say about books? well let's see, I love books. I love reading a wonderful book that can teach me something new, enhance my understanding, tickle my creativity and take me to a place of pure imagination.When I think of this song 'Pure Imagination' it perfectly can describe my love for books (and chocolate of-course). Now I know there is online books and I love the concept of Kindle for the convenience. I have them and its super practical if you need move books around. However I love the feel of a book, the smell of the paper and being able to truly see my collection. Over the years I have collected a grand variety of books. It's funny having a look into someone's book collection can tell you so much about that person. I think through the years I've collected a variety of genres and the books very much relate to either the phase in life I was in and my book cravings at the time.
I have a saying the bedroom is for love, all things fun and oh and sleep mmmhm lots of it. The kitchen is for nourishment, family and joy. The theatre area is for relaxed vibes, the dining room is for catching up and what if questions. The play area is for all things creative. The pool/garden area is for summer and lunch pool parties. The office is for making sure we don't go overboard with the book shopping ;) and the book library is for the the excitement, creativity, unpredictability and exploration of the mind. Since I was kid I've always had a book shelf in the house full of interesting reads. Over the years I've amassed my own collection of books. They each have a purpose and I cherish all my books. Some of the books are older than me, so I love and cherish them a little more.
A fond memory I have as a child was my dad and I going to the library together on some weekends. He would say "okay go choose which books you want to read " he would wait patiently and excitedly I would go hunting for the books I wanted. It was always so fun to hunt through all the variety of books. I love the smell of library books, they have character and history. For one of my birthdays my parents bought me a stunning antique bookshelf. This present was probably one of my favourites because while I had the big parties were all these people would be celebrating me. Also may I say I was a loud extroverted little girl as a kid, a total social butterfly. I loved shining as the centre of attention. I have videos of me "performing" with everyone watching me as I opened my presents. When I look back it on it now, I think wow that little girl is so annoying. So even though I loved those birthdays, my idea and desire of a birthday party and gifts is a lot more low key and value my introverted side too. There is something so personal and attention to detail when your personally gifted a book, chosen for you. I love the idea of sitting in my library on my comfy couch with a book and a nice drink = absolute bliss.
In my primary school and I think in most Australian school (millennials like me) I had book fare week. This involved an array of books available for purchase. This is probably the time I would mark as the beginning of my shopping experience. From a very young age I was already helping the economy. Investors, owners, banks, the world gets better when I shop ;). I remember I would plan very well for book week there was a game plan. I knew that it would be first in first pick, so I remember lining up early to get access into the library when doors officially opened. Suffice to say that little me got everything she planned to buy, a successful shop and a happy little girl. These shopping experiences built my shopping skills come to to think of it. I had the same organization formula for when i use to go to the Royal Show. From the age of about six I would go to the royal show every year as a kid. I would check the newspaper magazine for the show bags of that year. Then I would create a list of the show bags I wanted. On the day, I would enjoy all the sightseeing spots and rides. At the very end I would get my show bags so I didn't have then while I was walking around prior. This may have gone a bit of topic but I think I'm realising I loved organization since I was a kid 😉🙃🤓
I have tried the whole kindle/kobo books on tablets but I don't know it just doesn't feel the same as a hard book. I'm more traditional about my books. You can touch, feel and smell a book and it just has so much more character. I mean think of the one of the most beautiful bookstores in Argentina the Ateno Grand Splendid looks so much better as an almost art piece then if it were all online. I also love anecdote note making sometimes in my books when I find an interesting line or super informative. I also love sharing a great book with friends and family and making my own bookmarks. My favourite book themes are psychological thriller, the classics, poetry, true crime, health, beauty, skincare, food, dystopian mind fucking type like the tv show Black Mirror (one of my favourite shows FYI) and satirical satire. So at the moment in my home my current project is refreshing and designing our book room. I love my home how it is and the book room too however as a home owner your home is an extension of you and making it your home and giving the family touch is so special and exciting. It's been such an exciting project for us and one of my many interests at the moment. I love the process of researching, drawing ideas and cultivating in order to make a house a home. I'll be sure to get back on this to provide further updates into this project (and many others because I LOVE IT).
Be Well